Welcome or Hey y'all!

Before I had any children at all, I started & ran my own daycare. I followed in my Grandmothers footsteps when I did so. In essence, I just imitated what I'd watched her do for years. When our first child (Abbey) came along it was like the stork brought her because she was adopted. She was four weeks old & already sleeping through the night. Now that I think back on it, she was more like an extention of my daycare or a doll baby. What I mean is that I had full confidence in my mothering of her. Three years later, I came up pregnant & we were all delighted. I laughed like the biblical Sarah for 8 months. It wasn't until after I had him that the fear set in. I put on an exteremely convincing *front. Even my husband (Brian) didn't know I was scared to death. You see, I hadn't done this before. He was brand new & I was nursing & I'm a person who, by nature is high strung & I'd had a C-section & on & on. Because I had a C-section he was early by just a couple of weeks. His doctor informed us that the last thing on a baby to grow are its ears, so he had paper thin little ears that flopped forward. His pediatrician told us to keep a hat pulled down over the tops of his ears to hold them in place. I tried to keep that hat pulled down but all the hats were too big for his head and kept sliding up & pushing one of his ears forward. A month or so went by & the cartiledge in his ears got stronger but the top of that one ear had a permanent, pinky finger sized dimple in it and still does to this day. I had already failed him & he was only a month old. To the Mothers & women who want to be Mothers, I told you this story to tell you that you are not a hybrid of Claire Huxtable & Bree Van de Kamp. Those women aren't real. You are not perfect & you will fail your child or children at some point. But be not discouraged. You are not a failure & you are not alone.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ayelet Waldman isn't alone, nor should she be

In 2005, Ayelet Waldman an author,(she's under Resources on your right) made a comment about how she loved her husband more than she loved her children. Mothers all around America lost it & villified her. If you look at it from a biblical stand point, we're supposed to feel that way. Genisis 2: 24-25 For this cause, a man shall leave his father & mother & cleave to his wife, & they shall become one flesh. When married people take their vows, the official says, at one point "let no man put asunder", that means children too. Mothers forget that their children are only with them for a time. You're not raising your children to be of one flesh. You're raising your children so you can push them out of the nest. Because families have become disjointed, & divorce has been so pervasive, I think mothers have tried to become one flesh with their children. When you get married, the official also says "till death do you part" but people don't take that seriously anymore. It used to be, that couples stayed married until death. For example, my Father- in -laws parents were married for sixty sum odd years. I don't know how long they were married before my father-in-law (Don) came along, (he's the oldest) but lets just say it was five years. So they spent five years together alone & then their first child was born. I don't know exactly what the age difference is between Don & his brother, but lets say three years. So Don's parents raised children for about twenty one years, if I'm right about the age difference. Don's father lived to be in his eighty's & his mother is still alive. That means that they spent more than forty years together, just the two of them. You have to love your spouse more than your child to do that. You're going to bed & waking up with this same person for sixty years. You're eating dinner with this same person for sixty years. You have company, when the children come, for twenty out of the sixty. Our plan is to be married until one of us is carried out of the house feet first. Brian & I acknowledge that on July 18th 1998, we became one flesh, that no man will put asunder, till death do us part. That our children are gonna grow up & leave the nest. That we will be alone, together for (hopefully) years after the children are no longer in our company. So that means, for me & Ayelet Waldman, that we love our husbands more than our children.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key

I use slang & "real talk". An asteric (*) will d-note words you may not be familiar with. For those words, use the link for urbandictionary.com under Resourses.